Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Simplicity is Golden

This came up while I was writing my debate cases. I had an argument, and I attempted to throw in a million pieces of evidence and analysis. It was a huge two page mess. When my assistant coach took a look at it, he pointed out about 2 sentences that worked. That was all that I had truly said. All of my smoke and mirrors had done nothing but confuse my audience. That proves that more often than not, simplicity is the best option.

Simplicity is shown in everything. We are all made up of a complexity of different things, such as tissues, cells, and proteins. These are further complicated into molecules and atoms. However, the further we get down, the simpler things get. Eventually all matter is broken down into particles called quarks. Very simple, yet because of their simplicity they are able to be built upon.

The same thing happens to me all the time in music. When given a complicated piece of piano music, my piano teaches finds the very simple melody below the blur of notes and haves me practice that over and over. After that is accomplished, I put the next layer of notes on top of that. Eventually, I get the whole thing completed, but only because I had a strong and simple foundation.

Overall, simplicity is the best option because sometimes you don't need to complicate things, and you need a strong foundation to build on.

No comments:

Post a Comment