Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Human Touch

During band class today my director was talking about the difference between playing the notes on a page and actually making music. This brought into mind an episode of "The Outer Limits" I once saw. It was about a man with an increasingly large brain that made him super-intelligent. One thing that bugged me, however, was when the guy just sat down and played the piano without ever playing it before. "It's a simple mathematical formula" he stated, and I almost jumped out of my seat. No matter how advanced a computer gets, it can never create music like a person. There is an added touch that people give to music that can't be reproduced. The best way I can explain it is that our mind is like a mathematical function. You put in one thing, and get something else out. However, our function is one of a kind. Therefore, you can put notes on a page in and get that ,plus the added human emotion, out. Machines may be able to do everything else in our life, but one thing they will never take is our wonderful ability to create real music.

No comments:

Post a Comment